Hybrid Learning

Hybrid Learning

This year Springfield Public Schools has had to adapt to a new learning system and environment. Due to Covid-19, students have had to divide into two separate groups that attend in-person school on separate days. Students and Staff have utilized resources such as Zoom and have been more active on SPS canvas to complete our learning.

“Hybrid learning is an approach to education that combines online educational materials and opportunities for interaction online with traditional place-based classroom methods.”(definition from Google) Students with the last name that starts with the letter A-K go to school Monday and Tuesday for in-person school. While students with the last names L-Z go to School Thursday and Friday. Wednesdays everybody has off and are participating in their online Zoom lessons for their classes. This explores the platform of hybrid learning.

For this article, I wanted to take a look into student and parent perspectives to see where they stand on this matter. For my first interview, I asked fellow student Adriana Naylor to see her thoughts on Hybrid Learning. She says, “Hybrid learning is a good flexible, alternative option to our current situation with Covid-19. Hybrid learning also allows students to see their peers and fellow classmates while also being online and in their own homes.” I also wanted to get a perspective from a student’s parent. I interviewed a parent named Stacey Hurley to see where she stands on the matter. Her response was, “ I feel it was a necessary action taken by the school board to keep the community safe. While at times it has been difficult for students to learn from home, it has allowed them a couple of days of social interaction which is needed.”

In conclusion, this experience has been difficult but a good learning experience at the same time. While it has been hard, it has also been a great opportunity to stay safe during a troubling time. As we move forward in our education process, SPS has allowed everyone (excluding high school) to go back to school 4 days a week (except Wednesdays for virtual learning).