SPS Choice Schools: What Are They?

Health Sciences Academy
Photo Courtesy of sps.org

Health Sciences Academy Photo Courtesy of sps.org

You may have heard about the SPS choice programs but what exactly are they? Spring Public Schools offers 7 different programs available to all different grades. Those 7 are Academy of Exploration, WOLF, the IB program, Kickapoo U, Middle College, Parkview Leadership School and the Health Sciences Academy. 

The Academy of Exploration (AOE) is a STEM based program for fifth graders The school is at the Discovery Center and it offers a unique place to learn with many different learning resources. 40 students are randomly selected every year to attend the school. The program is only for fifth graders so for 6th grade you have to return to your home school. 

WOLF (Wonders of the Ozarks Learning Facility) is also a program for fifth graders. The 46 students that attend the school every year learn about conservation and environmental sciences. The school is located at the John A. & Genny Morris Conservation Education Center at Wonders of Wildlife and Bass Pro Shops. As well as learning in the classroom the students get to do a substantial amount of learning outside the classroom on field experiences. Addison Stuckey a former WOLF student who is now in 7th grade said that her favorite part of WOLF was meeting new people and being able to learn in many different environments. Just like AOE, WOLF is just for fifth grade students so students will have to return back to there home schools. 

The Health Sciences Academy (HSA) is for eighth grade and, 50 students get in every year. The school is located at Mercy and students get to learn in state of the art classrooms at Mercy Hospital. The students that attend this school learn about healthcare and they get the opportunity to explore different job options within the medical field.

Just this week it was announced that in the Fall of 2021 a new choice school will be joining the SPS family — an elementary school geared toward agriculture ed!

All of these programs and schools are great opportunities for more exploration in your academic journey!