Fears about Eighth Grade

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fears about Eighth Grade

As the 2018/2019 year draws to a close, summer is not seeming as distant of a dream as before. Pool parties, summer camps, and snacks of ice cream and watermelon are right around the corner. But after that summer of freedom, it’s back to the classrooms again. For seventh graders, that means becoming to kings and queens of the school. But it also means more responsibility as the teachers prepare you for high school. This can be a scary thought for some, and questions may come to mind about what eighth grade is like. This article will touch on questions and fears that I know other previous seventh graders had going into their final year of middle school.

Teachers

A very popular fear among students going back to school in August is teachers. Are they nice? Do they give a lot of homework? Are there teachers I really don’t want? I’m sure someone has had a similar question at some point in their school life, and I’m here to answer the question about the eighth-grade teachers.

Overall, the teachers are very good. They are kind and understanding and don’t, for the most part, make your life difficult. If you need help from one, just put in the effort to set up a time and they will most likely be more than happy to help you out. Really the teachers just want you to work hard. If you do that, then you’ll be fine.

Every teacher has their faults. They are human after all, and they will make mistakes. You can’t blame everything on the teachers, even if it’s tough. Sometimes you have just got to forgive and forget and move on. Don’t dwell on one bad thing about a teacher when there are plenty of good things too. You wouldn’t want someone doing that to you.

Workload/Homework

Ah, one of the favorites. Incoming grades always want to know how much school and homework the teachers in the above grade gives. I know I always do.

The workload is very manageable. The teachers, for the most part, give you plenty of work time and are always open to questions if you have them. If you stay focused and actually listen in class then the workload is going to seem easy and not in the least bit a problem. Most of the kids who complain about how much work they have to do are the ones who are goofing off and not using their time in class.

Like the workload, homework is manageable and, a lot of times, oddly scarce. The majority of homework you have in your after-school life is work you didn’t finish in class, and, if you actually worked, you normally don’t have much of it. Other times the teachers provide homework time to work on that night’s assignment, so a lot of days I personally went home with no work to do. Now, that is not saying you will never have homework. There were nights I felt stressed because of my homework or an upcoming test, but that is every grade. You can’t base how hard a school year is off of a few busy nights, and if you do other activities outside of school you might have more than others. It’s just a part of the school experience.

Friends

Ah, yes. The fear of not getting anyone you like on your team. Every student hopes to get at least one friend on your team, and actually have classes with them. You may even think you will never see any friends from other teams during the school year. Well, there’s good news for you.

You actually see your other friends pretty often. Before school, clubs and other activities, in the hallways, in elective classes, and at lunch are some pretty common places to see your friends. You are also very likely to at least know someone in each of your classes. Whether they are your best friend or just an acquaintance, you won’t be alone. If you are, that’s a perfect opportunity to make new friends and get to know people!

Tests

Tests. A student’s least favorite word. In many classrooms, a teacher just has to say that dreaded word and the energy level of the class plummets to zero. You might, as a seventh grader, be worried that the tests will be really hard to pass, but really they are usually not.

Tests, by definition, are meant to see how well you remember what you have learned in the past unit. Some teachers are good at writing tests that follow what the students know, while some not so much. Others give you lots of preparation before you take the test via study guide and other study tools, while others want you to use the tools they have already provided. Lots of teachers are very good at telling you at least a week in advance that a test is coming up, and then tell you exactly what you need to study whether that be a textbook, notes pages, or a study guide.

In short, tests are not that bad as long as you study and understand the topic taught. Teachers are always ready to help you if you don’t understand a topic, so don’t be afraid to ask!

I hope this article has helped calm some of your fears about your eighth-grade year. Please remember that eighth-grade is NOT as bad as you are probably thinking it’s going to be. If you focus and work hard, you are going to do great your final year of middle school. Good luck and have a great summer!