Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Did you know that Cherokee has a Scholar Bowl? What is the Scholar Bowl you might ask? Scholar Bowl is an academic team that focuses on trivia questions in the middle school level. Scholar Bowl competes in tournaments and tries to get first in each competition consisting of trivia questions they try to answer correctly. The trivia question categories can be anywhere from history and all the way to sports and more.

Mrs. McLain is the only sponsor for the Scholar Bowl at CMS. She has been sponsoring it for 3 years. She had seen her kids doing it in high school and wanted middle schoolers to have that opportunity. I asked Mrs. McLain what their proudest accomplishment was and she said that she would say her most proud accomplishment was winning first place in the home tournament for one of the first competitions. She said this because it set the tones that they were the ones to beat.

Scholar Bowl qualified for nationals, but are unfortunately not able to go because if funding. Mrs. McLain is hoping they can go next year with the help of some fundraisers. The varsity part of the team would be the ones being able to go to Chicago for the nationals. There are varsity and JV teams. Students compete for places on each team.

Scholar Bowl is open to 6th and 7th graders and it gets them prepared to participate in high school in their academic team. People who are representing Cherokee at the All-City Tournament are Joel Sharpsteen, Patrick Ensor, Nathan Swenson, and Miles Collins.

I interviewed Joel Sharpsteen, who is a part of the Scholar Bowl. Joel said that what he liked most about being in the Scholar Bowl is that he loves trivia and at every practice, they practice their trivia and he finds those questions very fun. He would describe Scholar Bowl as a way to have fun and do trivia for the nationals. They do trivia questions from the past tournaments and the results will determine whether they are on the varsity team or not. Scholar Bowl gives the opportunity for kids to learn random trivia topics and the opportunity to compete against one another. Joel recommends Scholar Bowl for people who enjoy trivia and learning and answering random questions.

Scholar Bowl is right after school from 3:00-4:00 every day in Mrs. McLain’s room down the seventh-grade hall. There are no requirements for the Scholar Bowl. Cheer on the Scholars and wish them luck for any future events!

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Cherokee Scholar Bowl”

1. Kinleigh Rose on February 22nd, 2019 10:27 am

Respect good job on making it to Nationals boys! 🙂

2. UnKnown on February 27th, 2019 12:15 pm

cool stuff

3. unknown person on February 27th, 2019 12:35 pm

wow

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Arts & Entertainment

Summer Vacation

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

News

Notre Dame Aflame!

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Features

Dress for Success?

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Cherokee

Talent Show

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

#GOINDIANS

Cherokee Track

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Arts & Entertainment

High School Musical Junior

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Features

Human Trafficking Awareness

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

News

Measles Remerging as a Public Health Threat

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Cherokee

Cherokee Winter Formal

• Cherokee Scholar Bowl

Cherokee

Mrs. Rabinowitz

Cherokee Scholar Bowl