Nike Protest: My Opinion

A+new+Nike+advertisement+features+former+NFL+quarterback+Colin+Kaepernick.+%5BVia+MerlinFTP+Drop%5D
A new Nike advertisement features former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. [Via MerlinFTP Drop]

Nike

Nike

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The Nike protests started in early September and are still a controversial issue over a month later. The protest started due to Nike’s newly released “Just Do It” campaign for the company’s 30 year anniversary. For this campaign, Nike made football player Collin Kaepernick the face of the campaign. He sparked the police brutality protest by being the first player to kneel during the national anthem. Nike has had a contract with Kaepernick since 2016. They also used other sports role models such as Serena Williams. I personally am not on either side of this protest, but I would like to express my point of view.

Collin Kaepernick was made the face of Nike’s most recent ad campaign with the quote “ Believe in something even if it means sacrificing everything” referring to his police brutality protest during the national anthem of NFL football games. What happened was that in 2016, in pre-season and during the actual seasons games, during the national anthem Kaepernick knelt to bring attention to police brutality. Due to this, he lost so much including his career. Nike later made him the face of their campaign for 2018. Due to this people have been burning articles of Nike clothing especially shoes.

Finally in my opinion I do not support these protest but still do respect the player right of freedom to protest as american citizens. I feel that Nike should not have made Kaepernick the face of their campaign, although being loyal to their contract should have been kept in light. I think that the people burning their own clothing is ridiculous. People with less than these would love to have those clothes and even shoes in general for some of them. It is not okay to take blessings for granted and I think that is what these people are doing.

A side from the point I feel that for some of us our opinions are not given the chance to be heard and I personally think that opinions deserve to be heard, just because we aren’t officially aloud to vote yet we should still be given the chance to voice are opinions, so if you have an opinion on this situation please feel free to respectfully leave it in the comments below because I would love to hear and I am sure there are others who would too.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Nike Protest: My Opinion”

1. Gaston Rivas on October 23rd, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi Gabby,
    Thank you for the op-ed w/ your opinion. Will the opposition have an opportunity to respond? Thanks. Sincerely, Gaston

2. Gabby Burgess on October 23rd, 2018 5:42 pm

Of course Gaston thank you so much for commenting the point of this article was to assess the situation and then give my opinion and give others a chance to share there’s no matter what it may be.

3. A Parent on October 24th, 2018 8:19 am

Just curious if this article was proofread prior to publishing? There are several spelling and grammar errors; which, unfortunately, takes away from the power of your post.

4. Victoria on October 24th, 2018 10:18 pm

Hi Gabby,

Thank you for posting your awesome opinion piece. This topic is obviously very polarized and, you may be stepping on a few landmines as a result of your decision to write about it. It is for this reason I want to applaud and encourage you to keep pushing forward – you have a bright future ahead of you!

Difficult, complex issues need to be talked about. This, I believe, was Kaepernick’s intention – he wanted to use his public image as a platform to bring attention to an issue that maligns his community. Issues rarely go away on their own. No…more often than not, a problem needs to be acknowledged before it can be resolved.

Right or not, it is important that he, and that all people, are allowed to voice their opinions. There are of course, lots of opinions we don’t like, opinions we disagree with, and even opinions that are outright vile. But, I ask you, isn’t it better to have these things out in the open where they can be debated, rather then letting them fester under the surface until they hit a critical boiling point?

Allow free speech for individuals, allow it for all. When a person speaks out, they open themselves up to opposition – that is how free, open societies work. Don’t like what is being said? Voice your opinion! Let the quality of your arguments speak for themselves.

Instead of stifling debate by silencing people, we should be encouraging people think through problems critically. Let the people be part of the conversation, so that we as individuals, and as a nation, might gain more insight. In doing so, we are more likely to come up with better solutions.

Free speech and peaceful protests are essential, albeit, uncomfortable components of thriving democratic societies that haven’t gotten complacent with the status quo.

5. Victoria on October 24th, 2018 10:22 pm

Did you mean spelling and “grammatical” errors, A Parent? 😀

6. Gabriella Burgess on October 25th, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you so much for responding Victoria I love to here what others have to say about my articles thank you for commenting and for your praise.

7. Autumn on October 25th, 2018 12:42 pm

I think I agree with your points, Gabby. I watched CNN last year at Wilson’ s Creek last year and was very much furious with the people that disagreed. Especially this one teacher over there last year (I’m not giving any names.) I think the point of this and what happened on the field is that not many people agree with other people, (I read your comment, Victoria). There is still a lot of racism in this world, including America. We don’t think we don’t do it, but we do, we don’t notice that the racism is hurting our community still. Kneeling down when the football players did, that gave them the chance to show America and the people of this country to know what those players stood for. Criticizing other people for what they did wrong is wrongdoing if YOU criticize other people for doing something wrong, then you are a hypocrite for saying that they did something wrong. This one teacher that I disagreed with on this topic said: “What did those football players did wrong?”- Teacher. Speaking of, on the Bill of Rights, Amendment 1 says that the Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Giving freedom of speech right? If giving the freedom of speech should allow you to give the freedom of the movement that you do. If the Bill of Rights is something so important to America, then why should we disagree with the Bill of Rights? (I stand on the First Amendment). If you disagree with my point, please don’t get up all in my face and tell me I’m wrong. (not talking to anyone on here) How you think of this?

8. Gabby Burgess on October 30th, 2018 10:20 am

Thank you for responding Autumn, I appreciate you being polite when you responded and yes I do agreee with the fact that they have the right of freedom of protest due to the first amendment and I was certinaly not trying to say that what they did was wrong but I do beileve there were better ways to protest, to me it seemed disrespectful to kneel suring the national anthem but it is there choice, I have a few family members who have fought for the freedom of our nation it gave me a different perspective as I was taught that the National anthem and the American flag as more than just a song or a flag, but I do understand were you are coming from Atumn

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Nike Protest: My Opinion

Cherokee

Interview with Mr. Illig

• Nike Protest: My Opinion

Features

The Energy Bus: What’s it All About?

• Nike Protest: My Opinion