Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

Homework. It’s a word we’ve come to know and not always love. In this article, we’re going straight to the facts to decipher if homework is worth the hassle.

The Problem

Homework has always been a pretty common debate topic. At any time in your life, you’ve probably had some homework. But is it beneficial?

The Evidence

A study in 2006 by Duke University, conducted by professor Harris Cooper, shows a positive connection between small amounts of homework and test scores. These benefits were stronger in older kids. In other words, kids who did homework had better test scores. Homework has been proven to lift test scores and overall performance. Homework can also teach responsibility. However, for many students, homework can be a cause of stress, mental, and emotional fatigue. A poll of high school students in California found that 59% thought they had too much homework. 43% argued that it was their leading cause of stress and fatigue. Many teachers support the “10-minute rule.” This rule recommends 10 minutes of homework for each grade level. For example, a 6th-grade student (if following the 10-minute rule) should receive 60 minutes of homework each night. However, not all teachers agree with nightly homework. Many teachers agree with the idea of students being able to have their afternoons and evenings open to what the want to fill it with. Many kids have after school activities like sports or music practices. Many kids argue that homework interferes with their after-school activities. Another idea is that kids only have homework if they can’t complete their daily tasks at school.

The Controversy

People have debated homework for many years. It still remains a debate today. We’ve seen the facts. What do you agree with?  

Sarah Jane Trotman, Staff Writer

Sarah Jane Trotman is a 6th grader at Cherokee Middle School. She is in the newspaper and Student Council. She plays percussion in band and she also plays...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?”

1. Sara Kimrey on October 25th, 2018 12:09 pm

I think kids who finish their work in school shouldn’t have homework. Practice is always great , but sometimes it’s just reviewing stuff you already know. If the situation is like this, then it will interfere with other events after school.

2. Jack Presley on November 30th, 2018 12:46 pm

I think homework does help, but work is for school. When your at home you should be spending time with your family, not doing school work at home.

3. Harneet Kaur on February 27th, 2019 12:21 pm

I agree that if you finish all your work at school, you shouldn’t have homework. And also, good job SJ!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

#GOINDIANS

Cherokee Scholar Bowl

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

Arts & Entertainment

High School Musical Junior

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

Features

Human Trafficking Awareness

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

News

Measles Remerging as a Public Health Threat

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

Cherokee

Cherokee Winter Formal

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

Cherokee

Mrs. Rabinowitz

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

#GOINDIANS

All City Honor Band

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

News

President H.W Bush: Before Presidency

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

Arts & Entertainment

Christmas Traditions

• Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?

Features

The Truth About Animal Testing

Homework: Is it Worth the Hassle?