Springfield School Walkout

On March 23 at 10:30 AM, Springfield schools, including Republic and Rogersville, had a walkout. The walkout was advocating for common sense gun legislation. After the tragic Parkland shooting that killed 17 high school students and injured 17 others, Hannah Brasher, a student at Missouri State University, organized the walkout with the help of the several student ambassadors.

At 10:30, more than 300 Kickapoo students respectfully walked out of their classrooms and walked to the football field chanting, “No more silence, end gun violence.” Most of the students held signs and wore t-shirts saying “Walkout for our lives.”  When they were all at the football field, Grace Laflen, the Kickapoo high school student organizer, stood on top of a trash can and gave her speech. Many students after Grace gave speeches. Taylor Lowry was the last person to speak. Taylor stepped on to the trash can and yelled to hundreds of students, “We may be young but we are powerful!”

The students walked back inside at 11:30 while Taylor Lowry leads them in the, “No more silence, end gun violence” chant. “As students, we shouldn’t be forced to accept senseless gun violence as the norm; We should fight to be the ones to change it.” -Grace Laflen, Kickapoo high school.

McKenzie Lowry, Staff Writer/ Photographer

McKenzie Lowry is a 7th grader at Cherokee Middle school. She loves painting, watching Netflix, hanging out with her friends, and shopping. McKenzie is...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Springfield School Walkout”

1. Anonymous on April 4th, 2018 9:52 am

I agree that people need to do something about guns. They need to change the laws. I feel like the president/government officials only care about the profit. (I’m not saying they do just my opinion).

2. Unkown on April 6th, 2018 1:39 pm

I disagree with you guns are for protection and they help us be protected. Guns don’t kill people people kill people. Also when the signs say “as a women I hope one day I will have as many rights as guns do.” I DISAGREE with that 1000000 % what right to women not have that Men to have. If you don’t know they all have the same rights. Did you know that most people are affraid of guns because they don’t understand them. For example, someone in my life bought a firearm for protection not to kill people with it.

3. Kate on September 11th, 2018 4:18 pm

Yes, the person in your life may have bought a gun for protection, but there are people who buy a gun to kill people. There are people sitting in jail right now because they bought a gun and murdered somebody with it. I do not agree with you. And about the men and women having equal rights, yes they have equal rights today, but not always. Women had to fight to get the rights they have today, women had to fight to be able to vote, to run for any kind of political office, women had to fight to get rights. Women used to be good for three things, one: taking care of the housework, two: having children, and three: taking care of the children. So women have not had the same equal rights as men have had according to history. I am all for guns used for protection and nothing else.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Springfield School Walkout

Cherokee

Mrs. Rabinowitz

• Springfield School Walkout

#GOINDIANS

All City Honor Band

• Springfield School Walkout

News

President H.W Bush: Before Presidency

• Springfield School Walkout

Arts & Entertainment

Christmas Traditions

• Springfield School Walkout

Features

The Truth About Animal Testing

• Springfield School Walkout

Cherokee

Interview with Mr. Illig

• Springfield School Walkout

Features

The Energy Bus: What’s it All About?

• Springfield School Walkout

#GOINDIANS

7th and 8th Grade Volleyball

• Springfield School Walkout

News

Nike Protest: My Opinion

• Springfield School Walkout

Arts & Entertainment

Best Gaming Systems of 2018

Springfield School Walkout