Remembering Stephen Hawking

Tragedy struck on March 14, 2018. That day, the man who was arguably the best Theoretical scientist and Cosmologist, passed away, Stephen Hawking.

Stephen Hawking attended Trinity Hall, Cambridge in 1962 – 1966. As of 2014, only 525 students attended this university showing the intelligence Hawking had. During his young years, Hawking was always a bright boy. But as he grew to his teenage years, his intelligence sprouted and emerged, landing himself a place in the school.

By the age of 21, Hawking had noticed his body had become rather limp and his muscles weren’t moving as they should have been. Due to the little amount his legs were working, Hawking started to miss classes and stopped eating, as his muscles weren’t giving in. Only at the young age of 21, Hawking was diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) and was given only two years to live. ALS is a disease in which all of your muscles stop working, but your brain continues to run just as it always has.

However, Hawking continued to stay strong and married Jane Hawking a short while after being diagnosed with ALS. Though many people disagreed with the genius man, Hawking said there is no god and that the universe was too small for one, which affected the way people viewed his intelligence.

Hawking proved that Black Holes existed. What are those? Black Holes are holes in the universe that are so strong that not even light can escape. Hawking also proved Einstein’s theory of relativity. Hawking then proved that our universe is squeezed into a single singularity, meaning that all the energy and matter in the world was contracted into a single point.

Though ALS was meant to bring Hawking’s life to only 2 years longer, Hawking outlived over 50 years. Stephen Hawking, the worlds greatest cosmologist, reached the age of 76 years old until his final breath. Hawking could not speak due to his ALS, so he used a computer and simply tapped a button, which was incredible because of the fact that he could move his thumb to type things.

Hawking won many awards in his lifetimes such as the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009 and the Albert Einstein Medal in 1979. Many people have been shocked he had never won a Nobel Prize making scientist on an outrage as to why such a genius had never gotten one.

Stephen wrote many books, his most famous being A Brief History Of Time which explains what happened in the universe before we were here. Many scientists have brought his theories to facts, but many of his theories he proved himself.

Stephen William Hawking was not only known as a genius, Cosmologist, Theoretical scientist, father, and husband, but known as the man I looked up to and a man I hope children will recognize in their lifetime, as he has changed the way people think by just having his own mind in a crippled body.

“Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” – Stephan Hawking, 1942 – 2018.

Keeley Curtis, Staff Writer

Keeley Curtis is an 8th-grade student in Cherokee Middle School. She enjoys listening to 5sos, Ed Sheeran, Little Mix, and Bea Miller. She loves reading...

11 Comments

11 Responses to “Remembering Stephen Hawking”

1. Hailey Rehkop on April 4th, 2018 8:56 am

I think Stephen Halking was an amazing person and his theories are incredible.

2. Jonathan Chou on April 4th, 2018 8:57 am

i like stephen hawking

3. Quinn on April 4th, 2018 2:34 pm

*Liked* RIP my man Stephen Hawking

4. Owen SIfferman on April 4th, 2018 9:47 am

I do think it is sad that hawkings is gone but he did so many great things to improve our lives, RIP Steven Hawkings

5. Lizzy Eike on April 4th, 2018 9:48 am

Stephen Hawking’s death made a change in my life, because he was an inspiration for me to keep working hard and to not let anyone stop me from doing what I aspire to do. Stephen Hawking, in my opinion, was not only smart, but was also a man of honor, courage, persistence, and hard work, RIP.

6. SAVAGE on April 4th, 2018 9:58 am

R.I.P, oh wait, nevermind. He didn’t believe in heaven or god. We will always remember you!

7. Christy on April 4th, 2018 11:47 am

Great article! Thank you for the information on Stephen Hawking!

8. Evan Reinert on April 4th, 2018 2:23 pm

Stephen Hawking was the man and a awesome scientist.

9. Lauren LaRose on April 4th, 2018 2:27 pm

I’m sad that Stephen Hawking is dead. He was a really great man.

10. Kassidy Copeland-Ellis on April 4th, 2018 4:32 pm

Stephen Hawking was a brilliant man. Although he was in fact not smartest person to ever live, he did have a view of the world that most didn’t. I don’t agree with everything he believed, but he did make me stop and think, then come up with a more intelligent reason to why I believe what I do. He made me think, and I’m glad that you made this article to convey the impact that he had on the world, and modern day science.

11. Garrett Arroyo on April 6th, 2018 1:32 pm

I think Stephen Hawking was remarkable and a genius but I don’t agree with him saying there is no god.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

Cherokee

Mrs. Rabinowitz

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

#GOINDIANS

All City Honor Band

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

News

President H.W Bush: Before Presidency

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

Arts & Entertainment

Christmas Traditions

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

Features

The Truth About Animal Testing

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

Cherokee

Interview with Mr. Illig

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

Features

The Energy Bus: What’s it All About?

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

#GOINDIANS

7th and 8th Grade Volleyball

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

News

Nike Protest: My Opinion

• Remembering Stephen Hawking

Arts & Entertainment

Best Gaming Systems of 2018

Remembering Stephen Hawking