Kickapoo Drumline

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kickapoo Drumline

When you think of the word drumline, you’re probably thinking of a bunch of guys standing in a line, beating on giant drums. But turns out, a drumline can be a lot more interesting.

The drumline show at Kickapoo High School, “A Rose, is a Rose, is a Rose,” performs and competes all over the state and also ventures a little bit out of Missouri. There are about 32 members in the winter drumline, playing all kinds of instruments like vibraphone, snare drum, keyboards, symbols, drum set, bass drums, marimba, bass guitar, tenor drums, and sound box.

Mr. Nimmo, the director of the show and all of the kids ranging from freshman to senior, have put endless hours into this show. For some of these students, the instrument they play in drumline may not even be the main instrument that they play in the band.  The students have to practice 3 hours after school at least 2 times a week, not including performances or the occasional Friday practices. That time is spent perfecting their show, adding new editions to the performance, and making props. 

The show itself is about 6 minutes long, but in order for the full effect of the show to come through, everyone has to be on time and know their part perfectly. The people actually marching have an extra part to play: they have to know when and where to step while playing their parts. On top of that, everyone has to fully know their part inside and out and play it without hesitation with no music to look off of.

This show has been hard and time-consuming for all the students, but has also been extremely fun and has definitely prepared them for their future at Kickapoo and in other aspects of there future. I have seen the show several times, and every time it is just as impressive. There are so many components to this show, from the movement to the props, the costumes, timing, and even people talking and singing in the background. This show has taken a lot of time, effort, and talent, but in the end, it all added up to a brilliantly well thought out show, “A Rose, is a Rose, is a Rose.”

Image result for kickapoo drumline