Elf Jr. The Musical

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.” This famous quote is from the iconic movie Elf which was released back in 2003. Although it is 14 years old, people young and old still love watching Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell) frolic around New York City on his search for his dad. Buddy gets into trouble multiple times, even landing in jail for tackling the false Santa in Gringles department store. Elf is a movie that will leave you laughing and quoting the characters! We could sit here all day and discuss all of the best parts of Elf, but that’s not what this article is about.

This article is about Springfield Little Theatre’s very own Elf Jr. the Musical! The students are living up to the quote  “The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.”! This play was open to middle and high school students from all different schools, including Cherokee! In fact, I interviewed one of our classmates who is in Elf Jr. — 7th grader Elena Black, who is in the adult ensemble. Here are her responses:

I asked Elena what a short summary of Elf Jr. would be. She said it was basically the same as the movie, so a summary of the two would be that Baby Buddy crawls into Santa’s bag and is taken back to the North Pole. He is raised by elves but finds out he’s human when he’s an adult. He goes to New York City to find and meet his dad and has adventures there. His father rejects him at first but eventually realizes that they need each other.

Although the two shows are very alike, there are some differences. Elena said that Elf Jr. doesn’t show Buddy as a baby or when he’s growing up. It starts when Buddy’s an adult. There’s also no Papa Elf, Buddy’s adoptive father.

I asked Elena what the cast is like. She said, “They’re all really nice and they are all really good actors.”  Then I asked what the adult ensemble is and what’s it’s like. She said that every time in the movie when you see New Yorkers other than the main characters, that’s the ensemble. Then she answered, “It’s fun. You get a lot of backstage experience. You make a lot of friends.”  

“All practices are different. Some of them you are onstage a lot. Others you’re backstage a lot while other groups practice their parts.” This is what her answer was when I asked her what the practices for Elf Jr. are like. Then I asked her what the performances are like. She answered that they are really fun and that sometimes they feel like dress rehearsals, and that some feel like performances. “You can’t really see the audience much because of all the lights,” she said.

Are you wondering what being a part of drama is like? Well, Elena said that “It gives you the opportunity to meet new people that you haven’t met before,” and, “Every show you’re in is different so it’s a different experience every time.”

Elf Jr. had 13 open performances plus 6 school performances when elementary schools come to Springfield Little Theatre and watch the play. Their last performance was on December 10. Their dance/choreograph director and main director is Zoe Zelonky who Elena says is a really good director, and their music director is Clayton Avery. Elena said he was the one who taught them all of the songs and the specific parts of the songs. Buddy the Elf is played by Bud Triplett, Jovie is played by Amber Eggimann, and Walter Hobbs is played by Wyatt Munsey. For the full cast list of 80 students, click here.

Even though the play has ended, don’t miss out on everyone’s favorite elf/human! Watch the movie Elf and be prepared to laugh and laugh and laugh! Merry Christmas!

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Elf Jr. The Musical”

1. Catelyn Conover on December 13th, 2017 9:28 am

Hey i went and saw that on friday.I t was so good!!!!!!

2. Annaliese on December 13th, 2017 2:23 pm

Such a great show and movie

3. Danna Padron on December 14th, 2017 8:25 am

AWESOME I wanted to see that but it was during school so I couldn’t but, I still love learning about it GREAT JOB!

4. Audra on December 14th, 2017 8:26 am

Your so right, I was in the musical, and you captured all the right points of the show, and I’m glad you like it, we worked very hard on it.

5. Kylan Mabins on December 14th, 2017 9:46 am

I’ve never seen the play but it looks just as good

6. Rose Wittmer on December 14th, 2017 12:02 pm

I love the movie elf, and I didnt have a chance to see the play but it souds great.

7. Marcus on December 14th, 2017 1:23 pm

I love the movie and even though i didn’t get to see the play I’m sure it was good as the movie.

8. Kylie Every on December 14th, 2017 2:13 pm

I love this movie! Sounds like a really fun and exciting play to see!

9. Kya Johnson on December 14th, 2017 2:21 pm

You had a really good article I have sean the movie and the play but I want to go see the play again after reading this article. I liked how you interviewed people It made the the article pop. Great Job 🙂

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Elf Jr. The Musical

#GOINDIANS

Kickapoo Drumline

• Elf Jr. The Musical

Cherokee

Faculty Spotlight: Coach Gray

• Elf Jr. The Musical

Features

Helping Hands in Springfield, Missouri

• Elf Jr. The Musical

News

Remembering Stephen Hawking

• Elf Jr. The Musical

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Black Panther

• Elf Jr. The Musical

Arts & Entertainment

Legally Blonde

• Elf Jr. The Musical

#GOINDIANS

Winter Guard

• Elf Jr. The Musical

Cherokee

Mr. Schreiner Staff Spotlight

• Elf Jr. The Musical

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Jumanji

• Elf Jr. The Musical

News

2018 Superbowl

Elf Jr. The Musical