Advice Column: Confused and Worried

Cherokee's cafeteria is always packed in tight at lunchtime. This is during the 7th grade lunch time.

Madison Arthur

Madison Arthur

“Dear Advice Column,

Every day I have the same daily struggle of finding two seats at lunch for my friend and I. We are always walking around finding random places to sit. Almost every day we sit somewhere new. We have tried getting there earlier, but we always get there late. And no one seems to want to save us two seats. My friend and I don’t know how to solve this problem of ours. Please explain how I can get seats easier so my friend and I can sit next to each other and sit with people we know.

-Confused and Worried”

Dear Confused and Worried,

That does seem to be a problem that many students have faced this year, including me. I doubt that people aren’t trying to save your seats because it’s tough and no one wants to be seen as a clique or get into trouble, but I have found a few solutions that might work for you as well:

Find someone new to sit with every day, like you are right now. It may seem hard, and I know that this might sound like the teacher answer, but it is nice to make new friends and help out the introverts or new kids who sometimes sit by themselves. Doing this is fun and can be rewarding in a new-friendship kind of way. If you’re an introvert yourself, just think that it’s not as hard as you might think because you might sit at a new table with new people every day, so if you don’t like a table one day, just sit at a different one tomorrow. You don’t have to talk to the people you sit with, but just be nice. (If it’s still not very appealing to either one of you, just imagine you’re a world traveler that wants to find/sit with as many varieties of people as you can by the end of the year.)

Another option is to split the table of friends you usually sit within half. You can ask half to sit at the table behind or next to the other one for a day, and hopefully, rotate between the friends a few times a week so you’re still seeing and talking with each other. They can all mix and rotate if they want, so you all see each other at different times, but I don’t know how long that will work.

Option number three is to mix the first two options. Take a few friends you want to sit with (maybe 2-6 at a time) and go find a new table to sit at. Then take a new couple of friends the next day to sit at a different empty or almost empty table. This idea has seemed to work the best, but if you do it, make sure that you don’t stop mixing around with the friends to sit with because then you won’t see your other friends and then a new problem occurs.

Hopefully, this gave you a few good ideas to try, and as for getting seats easier, that’s always going to be hard. SPS is blessed with so many students, and us as the students, we are blessed with such great school. But because of that, the schools can get crowded and overwhelming with so many kids and so much drama. All of our future schools will be as crowded if not more, so just think of it as getting prepared for your future school years. Also, how could you “ let your light shine before others”(1.5.16) if you are never mixing around with others?

Have fun with this, adventurer!

The Advice Column

For those who want to send in a question for the advice column, there is a link below provided for Cherokee students to go answer the survey to get something off their chest or to have a question answered.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeesssCRJ5Seo1521R1eVV7duEccsxmXL9cG0eEZPakV7ASoQ/viewform#responses

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Advice Column: Confused and Worried”

1. Jackson Gamet on December 13th, 2017 8:44 am

Though I didn’t need this information but it is helpful to people who don´t have a place to sit at lunch.

[Reply]

2. Katie Sell on December 13th, 2017 12:36 pm

I eat somewhere else like with my teacher because they are nice and let us eat there.

[Reply]

3. luke holt on December 13th, 2017 12:37 pm

this is a very true statement because if you one friend and you then you can find new people try going to the same table every day because if you do that a lot people will start to think that its your table and you’ll start to see new people come and sit with you and your friend because they will think your the only table with slots for more people then it will start adding up soon enough you’ll have ten people in one table it might seem like a hard task but its all worth it in the end. hopefully you’ll take this comment and apply it.

[Reply]

4. Vance Reagan on December 13th, 2017 12:41 pm

I face this problem as well thank you for this advice I will see what I can do with this advice, Especially because I’m an introvert, but as a person that is a perfect target for bullies, it is sort of hard to find a seat where I won’t get picked on or be unwanted. If you could reply to this comment and tell me how to fix this then I will would be very glad.

[Reply]

Advice Column Reply:

Yes, that would be a different problem to face. You can always try what was said in the article, and if you get bullied you go tell an adult. You can never be unwanted. You are always wanted somewhere by someone, and if the table isn’t comfortable for you, just move somewhere else. Go and find that someone or group of people out there in the mass lunchroom that can handle your awesomeness!

[Reply]

5. Jianna Cha on December 13th, 2017 6:29 pm

This story is really intresting to me because, I sat with different people ever since the begining of the school year. I sit with the same people for a couple of weeks or even months then find a new table. But now I sit with the same people I always sit with.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

#GOINDIANS

Kickapoo Drumline

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

Cherokee

Faculty Spotlight: Coach Gray

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

Features

Helping Hands in Springfield, Missouri

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

News

Remembering Stephen Hawking

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Black Panther

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

Arts & Entertainment

Legally Blonde

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

#GOINDIANS

Winter Guard

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

Cherokee

Mr. Schreiner Staff Spotlight

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Jumanji

• Advice Column: Confused and Worried

News

2018 Superbowl

Advice Column: Confused and Worried