Las Vegas Shooting

One of the most deadly shootings in U.S history.

Sunday, October 1, 2017. One of the most deadly shootings in modern U.S. history. 58 dead, including the shooter himself, and over 500 injured. It happened in Las Vegas at a country music festival. A man fired his guns into a crowd where musician Jason Aldean was performing. CNN news released Information saying, “The shooter (Stephen Paddock) shot himself after shooting off the guns because he did not want to be hated and go to jail.” He rigged 12 guns to fire faster. Almost all of the unlucky victims got shot in the head.

Las Vegas Shooter, Stephen Paddock.

The police tried to get people out of the area. Some police hid behind cars and other police hid behind a wall. One police officer died. As the police try to figure out where the shots are coming from, the shots kept going and going. “He fired for about 9 to 11 minutes.”

People tried to get down, but from the angle, the shooter was at (Mandalay Resort) facing the music festival, he could see them and easily shoot them. Heather Melton and her husband, Sonnie, heard the gunshots. Heather said she thought it was gunshots. Sonnie, like most people, thought it was fireworks. Heather told Sonnie she wanted to get down. ”No we will get trampled,” Sonnie had told her. They started running to the entrance anyway. Running, Sonnie fell from a bullet. ”I could feel him get shot in the back,” Heather said to CNN News. ”I tried to speak to him, but he did not respond. So I got over him and started doing CPR.” Sonnie, a registered nurse, was bleeding from the mouth. He was announced dead in the hospital.

http://www.businessinsider.com/las-vegas-shooting-reports-of-gunman-at-mandalay-bay-casino-2017-10
Overview of the chaos during the shooting.

There are many more stories like Sonnie’s, of fragility, hope, and survival. There is an ongoing investigation for why Stephen Paddock was shooting open fire.

Catelyn Conover, Staff Writer

Catelyn is a 7th grader at Cherokee Middle School. She attended Cherokee for 6th grade as well. Catelyn is a 12-year-old girl with a love for Dachshunds....

18 Comments

18 Responses to “Las Vegas Shooting”

1. connor lutes on October 25th, 2017 8:25 am

It’s so sad to think people do these types of things and all the people that get hurt probably from a mistake he made.

2. Audra Orr on October 25th, 2017 8:39 am

This story was really good, I liked how professional you sounded, I read this article because I need to know what is happening in other places, thank you for letting me see that.

3. Kaiden Ivey on October 25th, 2017 8:48 am

i think the Las Vegas shooting was stupid i was sad but sometimes its good to see how mush people care like people did CPR and the cop took shoots for people that they were tring to help i think this should not a daily thing like people are like ¨well thats done with¨ NO!!! its not ok just to say that well what Im tring to say is that if you feel bad just remember that people will take shoots for you and just 1 random act of kindness could might help some one not shoot people so all you have to do is help them like if they drop there books pick them up like the story this kid was holding book and he droped them and a 5th grader went to go help him and the 5th grader helped and pick the books up and the 5th grader cared the books with him and they talk and became friends but if that 5th grader didn’t help him his mom would of came home and see her kid is dead o the floor

4. Olivia on October 25th, 2017 9:26 am

I can’t believe that he shot for 9-11 minutes.

5. Trent lewis on October 25th, 2017 9:33 am

I think the shooting was horrible but i think the article was great.It told a lot of details for example who the shooter was,the setting,and what was going on before the shooting.

6. Emily Lovelace on October 25th, 2017 9:39 am

Great article! I liked how you showed someone’s perspective in the shooting.

7. Taylor Copeland on October 25th, 2017 9:40 am

I loved the article and how it is specific. I always like to read articles like this because they are interesting. Do you know where Stephen Paddock was from?

8. Catelyn Conover on October 26th, 2017 12:16 pm

Clinton,IA

9. Douglas on October 25th, 2017 12:41 pm

He’s Crazy.

10. Pyrson Houzenga on October 25th, 2017 12:42 pm

I heard about the shooting but never knew it was that bad.

11. Rose Wittmer on October 25th, 2017 12:44 pm

This is such a sad event.

12. Drew on October 25th, 2017 1:21 pm

I wonder why he shot the bullets at the Jason Aldean concert.

13. Kya Johnson on October 25th, 2017 2:17 pm

This was really good. I would have like more info about this. If you could have made more people talking about what happend that night that would have been really good. Great job 🙂

14. Catelyn Conover on October 26th, 2017 12:15 pm

CNN only relesed Sonnies story

15. Annaliese on October 25th, 2017 2:19 pm

Its crazy that people think to do this.

16. Izzy on October 25th, 2017 2:28 pm

It was a heartwarming artical, but such a tragic event. why would somebody do that. I wonder what is motivation was. We may never know.

17. Harrison Rehkop on October 25th, 2017 2:30 pm

that´s just straight up terrible. that guy must have mental issues.

18. Evan Reinert on December 13th, 2017 2:22 pm

That’s so sad and so dum for that guy to do that and I feel so bad for Jason Aldean and his wife at that concert.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Las Vegas Shooting

#GOINDIANS

Cherokee Scholar Bowl

• Las Vegas Shooting

Arts & Entertainment

High School Musical Junior

• Las Vegas Shooting

Features

Human Trafficking Awareness

• Las Vegas Shooting

News

Measles Remerging as a Public Health Threat

• Las Vegas Shooting

Cherokee

Cherokee Winter Formal

• Las Vegas Shooting

Cherokee

Mrs. Rabinowitz

• Las Vegas Shooting

#GOINDIANS

All City Honor Band

• Las Vegas Shooting

News

President H.W Bush: Before Presidency

• Las Vegas Shooting

Arts & Entertainment

Christmas Traditions

• Las Vegas Shooting

Features

The Truth About Animal Testing

Las Vegas Shooting