The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Recently the 5th graders from Disney and some 5th graders from Wilson’s creek came to Cherokee Middle School for a field trip. They got to take a tour of the school, practice with locks, got bags with letters and more in them, and got introduced to lots of clubs! But what they might not know is the time some people put in to make Cherokee’s first impression on the 5th graders one to remember.

I spoke with two of many students that helped make the field trip successful. Delainey Wylie (6th grade) helped with touring the 5th-grade students. Her hardest part to learn about the map of Cherokee was the way to go. She wanted to help with the tours because she likes tours and likes talking in front of people. Her favorite place to explain was the library and common areas. The faces on the 5th graders were mostly lost and confused.

They also got to practice with locks. They watched a video on how to open locks then were able to try it on their own. One student that helped with locks was Amber Kwon (6th grade). She wanted to help because she thought it would be fun and because she knows it’s hard to first learn something new so she wanted to help make the experience better. Within 2-5 min they had it down. She said that the hardest part of learning the locks was the directions and passing zero. She described their facial expressions as happy and excited.

Advice that Delainey and Amber give the 5th graders is to stay organized and to not be scared because then you think you are unable to do something. Next year these 5th graders may be called sixlets but they are also the future of Cherokee Middle School.

Photo Credit: Wikipedia Commons

17 Comments

17 Responses to “The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee”

1. Charity on May 10th, 2017 8:31 am

Yes they should not be scared because i was scared when i came here but i made a lot of friends that helped my though the way

[Reply]

2. Carly Forbes on May 10th, 2017 9:10 am

Yes they shouldn’t be scared because when I was going to 6th grade, I was very nervous and scared and thought I wouldn’t be able to open my lock, there would be a lot of homework, the classes would be hard, and more. When 6th grade started I realized that 6th grade wasn’t that bad (social studies is a little bit hard though). There wasn’t a lot of homework, I got my lock open, and most of my classes were kinda easy. Good job Megan, I like this a lot! 🙂

[Reply]

3. Alyciah Jarman on May 10th, 2017 9:13 am

I think that they are just very nervous. As soon as they get here they will love it. I came here I was nervous but then i felt like i was already welcomed and felt apart of this school. This was wonderful. GREAT JOB!!!

[Reply]

4. Avery Auer on May 10th, 2017 9:13 am

I really like this i think it is very true. I remember taking this field trip and being nervous i would get lost.

[Reply]

5. Alyssa VanPelt on May 10th, 2017 9:22 am

I think it’s good that the 5th graders are learning the things that we learned i hope they make new friends and have a great time here at Cherokee.

[Reply]

6. Emily on May 10th, 2017 12:50 pm

I remember when I toured Cherokee and got to open locks and received the bags. It was fun and exciting and I hope the next sixlets like it here at Cherokee!

[Reply]

7. Keeley Curtis (Greenleaf) on May 10th, 2017 1:37 pm

Amazing article!

[Reply]

8. Isabella Davis on May 10th, 2017 2:19 pm

I remember getting a tour here at Cherokee and I couldn’t get the hang of the locks… o(╥﹏╥)o

[Reply]

9. Taylor Akers on May 12th, 2017 10:34 am

I also agree they shouldn’t be scared. I know a ton of the fifth graders from Disney. One has told me she is terrified when I agree they shouldn’t be.

[Reply]

10. McKenzie Lowry on May 12th, 2017 12:53 pm

I loved g being able to meet the future Indians. Great Job!!

[Reply]

11. Kellen on May 12th, 2017 1:00 pm

They should not be scared Cherokee is not as bad when you have been there for about two weeks,

[Reply]

12. Isabelle on May 12th, 2017 1:08 pm

Agree that they should not be scared because you may think its scary but its a learning process and there isn’t a lot of homework. Once you go around the school and memorize it really is not hard. Its a learning process. Good job Megan.

[Reply]

13. Alex Kennedy on May 12th, 2017 1:09 pm

Your newspaper is great, loved it so much, keep it up.

[Reply]

14. Brynley Brotherton on May 12th, 2017 2:31 pm

This is so true! This article is also great! Good job!!

[Reply]

15. Malaia Best on October 25th, 2017 2:16 pm

This was so true a lot of students in 6th grade where scared. I was scared mainly because of the lockers, but then realized that it wasn’t hard just takes practice.

[Reply]

16. Deion Banks on October 25th, 2017 2:19 pm

When I toured this place I thought it was going to be easy but then on the first day I knew it was going to be a lot harder.I’m a transfer so I didn’t know much people here but by the 3 week It got a lot easier I’ve made a lot of friends with the people form Disney and Wilson Creek and My old friends at Horse Mann.I think the only thing I have trouble with is my locker and me turning in work on time.

[Reply]

17. Olivia Heinrichs on October 25th, 2017 2:35 pm

I loved it when i toured here but i was scared i would get lost because the building is so big.I thought it would be so hard but everything is going good and i like all my teachers.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

#GOINDIANS

SPS All-City Honor Band

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

News

Springfield Christmas Tree Lighting

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Features

Winter Holidays

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Features

Advice Column: Confused and Worried

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Arts & Entertainment

Elf Jr. The Musical

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Arts & Entertainment

Spoiler Free Movie Review: 2017 Remake of IT

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Arts & Entertainment

The iPhone X

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Features

Study Tips

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

Cherokee

Faculty Spotlight: Mrs. Arens

• The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee

#GOINDIANS

Cherokee’s Football Team

The Future 6th Graders of Cherokee